Climbing in Zell am See-Kaprun
Challenges on the rock face
Steep cliffs, deep ravines, and rugged rock faces: where hikers turn around, so begins the day for climbers. Equipped with carabiners, ropes, climbing shoes, chalk bags and helmets, climbers head into the surrounding mountain world and up the varied climbing and via ferrata routes. Newcomers to the sport can get their feet wet on the practice via ferrata, while experienced climbers can put their skills to the test on a number of challenging routes.
Indoors and outdoors – climb any time!
Do you prefer to climb all year long? That's no problem in Zell am See!
- A number of via ferratas in the Rettenwand area of the Kitzsteinhorn are also climbable on nice winter days.
- The Felsenfest climbing gym in Saalfelden boasts over 1,700 m2 of climbing surface, of which 1,400 m2 is indoor, weather-independent climbing and bouldering terrain,
- The Club Kitzsteinhorn in Zell am See offers climbers 1,200 m2 of sport climbing, 350 m2 of bouldering, and even an indoor high-ropes course.
Climbing areas in and around Zell am See-Kaprun
Climbing is becoming increasingly popular and the opportunites to climb are following suit. Here is a brief overview of climbing areas nearby:
- Kitzsteinhorn: approx. 15 minutes away from the Alpine Centre are the climbing areas of Rettenwand and Gletscherseeplatten with a collective 100 routes.
- Höhenburg Climbing Arena: adjacent to the Mooserboden Reservoir in Kaprun you'll find short and long via ferratas with catchy names like Mooser-Mandl, Drossen-Hex or Limberg-Zwerg.
- Hochkönig: from the village of Dienten head on up to the Hochscharte – at around 2,220 m above sea level awaits the climb up to the Königsjodler, one of the hardest via ferrata on the Hochkönig in the Salzburg region.
Benefits for our climbing guests
- Summer Card: from May until October, the Summer Card offers many advantages, for example the free of charge lift rides to the Mooserboden Reservoir or up the Kitzsteinhorn.
- Ski Dome: climbing equipment is available to hire from our partner, Ski Dome. Simply ask about this service at reception and we will be happy to help arrange things on your behalf.
- Relaxation and recovery at the hotel: enjoy a delicious gourmet dinner, a drink at the hotel bar, or relax in the hot tub or with a massage in our wellness centre.
If you are looking for elevation, let us be your base camp. We look forward to your non-binding booking enquiry!